Now don’t read the title and say “eeeewwww”. It is one of the best dessert salads ever tasted in the Apple Crumble kitchen.
Posted by Jill Brown (thank you SO much Jill!) and found on page 68 of our book A Taste of Utica
this recipe is quick, easy and a delight to serve to guests. Warning! Don’t serve it to your family otherwise they will demand it EVERY night!
Frog Eye Salad – Makes one big bowl and will serve 12
- 20 oz can crushed pineapple, drain and save the juice
- 11 oz can mandarin oranges, drain and save the juice
- 1 cup of sugar *Apple Crumbles used 3/4 cup which proved sufficient
- 2 TBS flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cup juice from the fruit (I didn’t have that much juice from the fruit but the salad turned out great).
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- 1 large container of Cool Whip
- 1 lb box Acine de Pepe (hence, the frog eyes)
Mix flour, sugar, salt. Gradually stir in the juice and eggs. Cook over medium heat until thick. *This is like making a Sabayan (or Zabaglione) – you must stir constantly and don’t get the burner too hot because you will find cooked egg in what should be a lovely smooth custard (voice of experience talking) .
Mix cooked macaroni with the fruit. Add lemon juice, cool whip and then add mixture to cooked macaroni. Chill overnight or until you can’t resist it any longer.
I snuck into the kitchen for more…
Of course the cherries on top are a must.
Let me know you thoughts on this one because I just know you’ll have to make it.