If you have never made donuts, this is a great beginners recipe. So easy, no fail recipe for pumpkin donuts. You just need to pick up a special donut baking tin for shaping. If not, you can use standard muffin tins and make aluminum foil hole makers but you won’t get a uniform donut shape. It’s the taste that counts.
I used mini bundt tins for 6 of the donuts and muffin tins with foil inserts for the other six. Which ever, what ever you use, these little cakes turn out moist and full of flavor.
Makes 12 donuts (or muffins if you like)
- ½ cup canola oil + 2 TBS
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 15 oz can 100% pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1¼ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray pans with non stick spray. If using foil inserts which you make by simply wrapping a small piece of aluminum foil around your index finger, spray the finished insert before placing into the muffin tin.
- Beat the oil, eggs, sugar, pumpkin, and vanilla. Add the flour, spice, salt and baking powder. Mix only until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour carefully into the tins. *Remember! If using foil inserts, place the insert into the tin first and delicately spoon the batter around the insert.
- Bake for 18 minutes, or if making muffins, 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes before removing from tins. After the donuts have cooled, drizzle on the glaze. Glaze = 1½ cups powdered sugar + 3 TBS or more of water + ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice and stir until smooth. Eat up right away!