A healthy breakfast not only helps with mental alertness but also maintains control over our waistline. Research continues to show that those who eat a breakfast made up of high protein, healthy carbs and fat weight less. This is partially due to ingesting balanced nutrition to ward off cravings later in the day which may lead to over eating or at least chowing down on empty calorie items. So get to it and eat your breakfast.
Check out the following recipe and keep in mind this is just as good for breakfast as it is for brunch or dinner. The recipe below is one we whipped up for a week night meal.
STRATA is a layered casserole made from a mixture bread, eggs and cheese. It can include meat if you eat meat or make it vegetarian.
Gosh I was getting really bored with the same old meals. We needed something different for dinner. Something we hadn’t enjoyed for a long time. Strata! … and I had just the perfect bread to use: Food For Life Sprouted Grain Ezekiel 4:9 Buns.
Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Buns are flourless and a complete protein that parallels the protein in milk and eggs. As indicated on the package, a direct quote “the protein quality is so high that it is 84.3% as efficient as the highest recognized source of protein..” It contains 18 amino acids, all from vegetable sources. The ingredients are organic sprouted whole wheat, filtered water, organic sprouted barley, millet, malted barley, lentils, soybeans, spelt…all organic and all sprouted. The rest of the ingredients are fresh yeast, organic gluten, and sea salt. … and THAT’S why it was used in my week night Strata.
Serves 6 as a main dish.
- 1 cup Marinara or your favorite pasta sauce OR, you can simply use a 15 oz can diced tomatoes.
- 4 large eggs
- 2 egg whites *Use all whole eggs if you prefer
- 1 cup Egg Beaters *Use all eggs if you like or egg whites
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 6 oz 1/3 Fat Cream Cheese, room temperature/softened
- 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp each: Salt, black pepper, garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper/cayenne pepper
- 3 Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Buns, torn into pieces (or 4 1/2 cups torn bread – your preference)
- 4 cups packed baby spinach
- 4 oz Boiled Edamame (soy beans) *Optional
- 3 large plum tomatoes, chopped lengthwise, thin slice
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese – your favorite
Preheat oven to 375 F. Spread the marinara/sauce (or diced tomatoes ) over bottom of a 9 x 13 baking pan. Set aside.
In a large bowl, add all the eggs, milk, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, red pepper. Beat until combined.
Stir into egg mixture the torn Ezekiel buns and the spinach. Mix to completely coat. Pour into the prepared baking pan, on top of the sauce.
Top with Edamame if using then plum tomato slices. Sprinkle on the green onions, seasoning, salt and top with cheese.
Bake for 1 hour. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
How do you define a healthy breakfast?
Eggs for dinner? Yes or No?