Keep this recipe gluten free by using cabbage or lettuce as a wrap for grilled shrimp in a delightfully fruity, slightly spicy glaze. If you don’t follow a gluten free diet, this recipe would be terrific with regular yellow corn taco shells.
- 1 large head of cabbage: Gently remove 4 large leaves, wash and put in a large pot of water. Cut cabbage in half and separate more leaves, almost down to the core. Fill pot half full with water, bring to a boil and cook over a boil for 6 – 8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. *Make sure not to over cook or you’ll have to use a fork instead of your clean fingers.
- 1 lb. large to jumbo size raw shrimp – peeled and deveined.
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1 yellow onion, cut into large chunks.
- 8 – 10 grilling skews: if wood, soak for 10 minutes in water and spray with non stick
- 1/2 jar Peach Cherry Salsa Medium Spice from Chukar Cherries
- 2 TBS lemon juice
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 TBS honey
- 3 fresh mint leaves, torn
- salt and pepper
Preheat grill over medium – high heat.
Mix all ingredients in the glaze EXCEPT the salt and pepper.
Add one shrimp, pepper, onion, pepper, onion and one more shrimp to each skew.
Salt and pepper each prepared skew. Brush both sides of the skewers with glaze.
Cook on grill for 3 minutes per side.
Remove and serve with cooked cabbage and Yellow Split Pea Salad with Caponata.
Get ready taste buddies, here comes something wonderful!
What’s your favorite glaze for BBQ’d shrimp? .. or chicken .. or beef?