Do you ever give yourself a pat on the back for that experimental recipe that turns out so good? If not, you should. I do. This recipe is one of those “HAIL TO THE CHEF!” kind of recipes.
The base of the recipe is a lot of fresh vegetables with cooked split yellow peas. The complexity of taste and texture comes from adding 7 oz of Caponata and marinated artichoke. Complex but light. Vibrant but simple.
Serve chilled or at room temperature and finish with a drizzle of balsamic glaze. *I even added 1/4 cup to some Eggbeaters and made an omelet and THAT was even amazing!
Serves 6 – 8
- 1/2 lb yellow split peas: sorted and rinsed.
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, core, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, core, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 cups fresh parsley (mix Italian with curly or use one or the other)
- 2 TBS fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 TBS fresh thyme leaves
- 1 jar (7.5 oz) Caponata (an eggplant dip)
- 6 oz jar of marinated artichoke hearts, drained but not rinsed – chop
- 11 oz can Mexicorn, drained and rinsed.
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
Cook peas: Add the peas to 4 cups boiling water and allow to boil for 3 minutes. Turn off heat, cover and allow to sit for 1 hour. Drain. Cover with 3 cups of FRESH hot water. Return to a boil then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes. The peas should look broken down, tender and ready for soup – but don’t make them soup, make them salad! Drain the peas in a colander and allow to cool.
In a large serving bowl, add the tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, parsley, herbs, caponata, artichokes, and corn. Mix together.
Add the cooled yellow split peas then add the lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper, cumin, paprika and garlic powder. Mix together.
When ready to serve, place a couple of scoops of yellow split pea salad on top of baby spinach leaves and drizzle with balsamic glaze (optional).
Enjoy this super healthy, terrific tasting one dish meal!
Yellow Split Peas: 1/4 cups: 110 calories, 28 g carbs., 10 g protein, 0 fat.
What is the most unique and tasty salad you have eaten or made this summer?