I recently read an article listing ten "must do" marathons for various reasons such as scenery to the challenge of the course. Some I’ve done, some I will do, some I would like to do, and some I will never do.
The ten mentioned in the article:
1. Chicago = Ted and I will do this on October 13, 2013.
2. New York City = I’ve qualified to avoid the lottery system so I’m looking at 2014 to be my NYC year.
3. Boston = Done it 3 times and hoping for a 4th, 5th, 6th…10th.
4. Great Wall = Interesting but no desire. Just too far away.
5. Twin Cities = Don’t know much about it. It’s not on my list but could be.
6. Athens = Don’t think so. Not right now any way.
7. Big Sur = Want to do this marathon in 2014 after running Boston. Boston to Big Sur.
8. Pikes Peak = Absolutely, positively, no way, no how.
9. London = Maybe one day since my family lives in England and my cousin, Steve lives right in London. It would be great to run it with him.
10. Honolulu = I DO want to go to Hawaii but only to watch the Iron Man, lay around and drink Pina Coladas. No marathon desires in Honolulu right now.
As for those international marathons, it might be fun to run a 10K in far, far away places but I’m not so sure my body would adjust in time for a marathon.
Some others that I’m looking at are: Portland, OR Napa Valley, CA, CIM, CA, Space Coast, FL.
If you run races, what is the one race you have your eye on as a must do?
If you don’t run but love to travel, what is the one place you really want to visit in your lifetime?
Super Salad Side Dish
This salad/side dish is a meal in itself. It’s robust and filling, topped with tahini sauce and toasted sunflower seeds.
- 1 head of broccoli cut into florets.
- 1 small squash – I used butternut but your favorite is always best. Remember if you use a different squash, cooking method and time might be different than what I have in this recipe.
- 1 cup chopped and cleaned kale
- 1/4 head of red cabbage, thin sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup diced sweet onion
- season with salt and pepper
- 1 TBS toasted sun flower seeds
- 1/2 cup tahini sauce
Make the tahini sauce then set aside. You will need:
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp mince garlic
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2/3 cup water
- salt to taste
Put all the above into a food processor and run until smooth. Turn into an airtight container. Can be kept for one week.
Now make the salad…
Steam the broccoli in about 2 to 4 inches of water. Boil for about 4 – 5 minutes or just until tender.
Put the squash in the microwave and cook until soft, depending on the power of your microwave, probably about 8 minutes. Allow to cool then peel and slice, discard the seeds.
Put the sunflower seeds on foil and place under the broiler for about 2 – 3 minutes. Watch carefully so they don’t burn.
In a large bowl, add the kale, red cabbage, green pepper, onion. Toss together. Top with cooked broccoli and squash. Drizzle on the tahini dressing then garnish with toasted seeds.
A delicate tasting side dish but completely satisfying for a nice summer meal.
Summer is coming close to ending. Can you believe it?! I think the world is spinning faster and faster.