The one benefit we all get (all meaning the dogs and I) from running on the road is nail maintenance. The dogs nails stay filed down and I don’t have to suffer bruises and scratches when trying to clip them. Every once in a while, that dew claw gets a bit out of hand though, since it doesn’t hit the pavement. This is how we take care of it.
1. Shane: He LOVES to get into the shower. When Shane is in the shower, he becomes a mush dog so I can do all the nail trimming I want.
2. Zoey: Zoey likes the shower but won’t let anyone near her paws so we have to go see the folks at PetSmart. These girls have such a great way with Zoey-Bean. Sure she whimpers but the nail clipping is done in less than 5 minutes. I timed it. Works out great for everyone!
I’m not sure if this is a good place to introduce food after discussing nail clipping but once you read the recipe and if you make these bars, you won’t care. They are too good to pass up. Even if we did lead in with a slightly UN-appetizing subject.
As promised another recipe inspired by American Cake Decorating. Just one tip: Don’t over cook the topping or you’ll break a tooth.
Start with the shortbread crust
- 1 2/3 stick butter – chilled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups flour
Use a food processor and combine the butter, sugar, vanilla and salt, just until blended. Add the flour. Pulse just until it begins to mass together. Preheat oven to 325 F.
Press dough into a 9 x 13 baking pan lined with aluminum foil, smoothed out to get rid of wrinkles and over hang the foil off the ends of the pan. Spray lightly with non stick spray.
Bake for 18 minutes.
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 3/4 cups butter, cut into chunks
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Combine the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. When the butter is melted and the mix begins to boil, add pecans and coconut and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the vanilla.
Pour mixture over the top of the still warm shortbread base. Put back into the oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
Allow to cool completely then use the overhung foil as handles to remover from pan. Layout and cut into squares.
I love pecan pie but these – these top all!
Pecan bars? Pecan Pies? Too sweet for your taste or do you just love them?