Oneida Shores Swim 2011

by Joanne on June 4, 2011

I’m not so sure Ted was feeling really comfortable about the swim Saturday at Oneida Shores.  After last weekend’s Cooperstown Triathlon, with the water so cold and making it difficult for him to get into a good swimming rhythm, he wondered what this day held for him. 

At 5:15 am Ted yells, “The Alarm Didn’t Go Off!”  Crap!  He immediately went downstairs to down some bagel and PB fuel and I got dressed and ran a mile with Shane. With some quick hustling around, we were able to get out the door by 6:05 am and on our way to Syracuse’s Oneida Shores Park for the 800 meter swim.


We met up with Rich, also signed up for the swim, and got signed in.  Someone made an error and Ted was listed as a 1500M swimmer. He was having no part of that so they said go ahead and wear the white cap (white = 1500M and red= 800M) but line up with the 800 group. 


Rich and Ted were suited up and ready to test the water by 7:40.  We were under the impression the race was to start at 8 am but it started at 8:30.  This gave us plenty of warm up time.

The twosome put duct tape on the soles of their feet for protection. 


The water was about 66 degrees.  With caps on, they were going in for a warm up.



The water felt good, “nothing like last week” (per Ted).  There were quite a few swimmers without wetsuits.

After the announcements and after the 1500M men and women took off, it was time.


Ted is in front of the the guy with his hand on his butt. Hey Guy! Get your hand off your butt!  well…guess it’s better than having your hand on someone else’s butt…so…go ahead…keep it there.

AND….their off!


It wasn’t long before the first 800M swimmer came in. It was a young lady! YAY!

The first 1500M swimmer came in after only about 20 minutes. AMAZING!

Here comes my Ted!


The time had him listed at 30 min. but deduct 6 min. because he swam the shorter race: 24 minutes!

Richard came in soon afterwards…


The duct tape didn’t last long enough in the water and there was a slight “war wound”


Nothing too serious.

What a great job for these first timers! 


Rich said he was pretty tired. But then, he only had a glass of OJ and half a banana for fuel.  So the question remains…. Will Rich Do His FIRST SPRINT TRIATHLON Next Saturday at Green lakes Or Not? We won’t know until Friday. 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email


  • At 2011.06.04 21:36, Bela said:

    Congrats Ted, great job!

    • At 2011.06.04 23:57, Pam said:

      Great job Dad and Uncle Rich!
      Rich your pre-race fuel was all sugar, add a little protein for extra energy.

      • At 2011.06.05 09:19, James B said:

        Congratulations Ted, very impressive. The water in the first photograph looks very inviting.

        • At 2011.06.06 00:36, The Green Girl said:

          Hm. I’ve made a mental note of the duct tape for protection.

          That first shot of the water with the sun rise is beautiful.

          • At 2011.06.06 10:40, Lisa said:

            Congradulations, Ted!!! Excellant job!…I just love photos of water at sunrise or sunset…

            Take Care…

            Previous post:

            Next post: